Monday, October 22, 2007

Oprah Show

Ok...so this blog is turning into a journaling thing for me too...SORRY ALL YOU COLE WATCHERS! There will still be plenty of Cole stuff too :).

Today I actually made it home in time to watch Oprah (1st time all school year!) It was about people with cancer. The last segment had a guest named Randy Pausch, a college professor, who is dying from pancreatic cancer. He only has 3-6months to live. His college has always had a lecture series about what your last lecture would be if you knew you were dying, (or something like that....your last lecture to be remembered by...etc). He was invited to do that...and yes...he was dying. It is truly an eye-opening thing to watch. He speaks of achieving his childhood dreams and mainly...what's important in life. It brought me to tears when he said the REAL reason he made the lecture...was not for the faculty and staff at his college...but for 3 more important people...and he showed a picture of his children. They don't know he's dying yet...they are all under the age of 5, so they're waiting to tell them until his symptoms are evident.

I can NOT imagine being in his shoes. How do you live knowing your days are numbered...and not for very long. He is living life to the fullest and CHOOSING to have fun and go out with a bang.

The thing is...we don't know if tomorrow will come for ANY of us. I've been thinking of that a lot lately. One day, I will not exist anymore (physically anyway). That's beyond my grasp.

I was really touched by that...so I came online to find the video to show my Teen Leadership students who are learning to give speeches & what qualities real leaders have... As I was searching, I had Cole in my lap...he was fussy & pulling stuff left & right and pulling my hair. I sat him on the floor and he was pulling my pants to stand up and crying. Why wouldn't he just let me find this video about living life to the fullest?????

WOW...what was I doing? It hit me...here I am amazed at what this man was saying...but I was doing the exact opposite. I dropped what I was doing and Cole and I chased eachother around the house on all fours. We tickled each other and laughed (and coughed and sneezed because we're STILL sick!). I told him, "I'll love you forever and like you for always...as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be". And then I fed him his yummy yummies as he stroked my hair...until he fell asleep.

To me...being a mommy is living life to its fullest and REALLY being PRESENT for him is what I'm going to focus on.

Thank you Dr. Randy Fausch!
(go to www.oprah.com to watch the video...he's amazing...and pray for him)

1 comments:

26 said...

Beautifully said! : )